|This 40 Hour CDCA Training Program will introduce the participant to: (1) Theories of Addiction - by understanding substances and their effects; (2) Counseling Procedures & Strategies with Addicted Populations - by reviewing the stages of change, engagement strategies, and three primary models of treatment, and by describing issues such as the role of the addiction counselor, and dealing with problems that arise; (3) Legal & Ethical Issues Pertaining to Chemical Dependency - by exploring ethical parameters of addiction counseling and reviewing legal issues related to confidentiality laws; (4) Assessment & Diagnosis - by understanding screening and assessment necessary for gathering information for a diagnosis of a substance use disorder; (5) Treatment Planning - by identifying the components of case management and how it is key to substance abuse treatment, and by reviewing legal issues regulating client treatment, and fundamental components of treatment records; (6) Group Process & Techniques Working with Addicted Populations - by understanding the general principles of groups in substance abuse treatment, and by identifying the types of groups commonly used in substance abuse treatment.
New Ohio Chemical Dependency Counselor Assistant (CDCA) certification training.
- Theories of Addiction (1) Foundations: Anabolic Steroids, Cigarettes and Other Tobacco, Club Drugs, Cocaine, Cough & Cold Medicine, Drugged Driving, Drug Related Hospital ER, Electronic Cigarettes, Hallucinogens, Heroin, HIV-AIDS and Drug Abuse, Inhalants, Khat, Marijuana, MDMA, Methamphetamine, Prescription and Over The Counter Drugs, Salvia, Spice, Stimulant ADHD Medications, and Synthetic Cathinones "Bath Salts"; (2) Drug Addiction Treatment Methods (3) Lessons from Prevention Research
- Counseling Procedures & Strategies with Addicted Populations (1) Enhancing Motivation for Change in Substance Abuse Treatment (a) Executive Summary and Recommendations (b) Conceptualizing Motivation and Change (2) Approaches to Drug Abuse Counselling (a) Dual Disorders Recovery Counselling (b) Motivational Enhancement Therapy: Description of Counseling Approach (c) Twelve-Step (3) Individual Drug Counselling (a) Introduction & Overview (b) Logistics of the Individual Counseling (c) Assessment (d) The Role of the Addiction Counselor (e) The Individual Drug Counseling Model (f) Dealing With Problems That Arise (g) Counselor Characteristics and Training
- Legal & Ethical Issues Pertaining to Chemical Dependency (1) Ethics (a) Ohio Chemical Dependency Board - Code of Ethics for Chemical Dependency Counselors (b) Exploring Ethics Scenarios (c) Basic Ethical Issues (d) Ethics and the Group Leader (e) Ethical and Legal Issues in Supervision (f) Ethical Considerations in Medication Assisted Treatment (2) Federal and State Confidentiality Laws
- Assessment & Diagnosis of Addiction (1) Substance Abuse Treatment for Adults in the Criminal Justice System * Screening and Assessment (2) Substance Abuse Treatment for Persons with Co-Occurring Disorders * Assessment
- Treatment Planning (1) Comprehensive Case Management for Substance Abuse Treatment (a) Substance Abuse and Case Management: An Introduction (b) Applying Case Management to Substance Abuse Treatment (2) Legal Issues (3) Fundamental Components of Treatment Records (4) Client Rights and Grievances
- Group Process & Techniques Working with Addicted Populations - Substance Abuse Treatment: Group Therapy (1) Summary (2) Groups and Substance Abuse Treatment (3) Types of Groups Commonly Used in Substance Abuse Treatment